McDowell Trip 2006

The McDowell Trip cross country. Enjoy our trip with us as we finally make our "Western" trip.

Name:
Location: Syracuse, New York, United States

I am an Eagle Scout having been a member of the Scouting fraternity for over 30 years man and boy. Now that I have graduated from SU I am preparing to become more active in the fall. I am a lifelong member of the Presbyterian Church and I have recently become the Presbytery Resource Person for the Theological Education Fund of the Presbyterian Church USA. As part of my college training I designed websites for both my church and the local Presbytery. I have been married for 36 years to a warm, loving, special lady named Charlotte and we have two great children, Margie and Francis, and one grandchild, Alex, who all live in the Syracuse area. Francis is getting married in October and Margie is dating a great guy named Mike.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Eighth Day on the Trail

Hi Again, Well I missed a day. I guess I will have to do this again tomorrow to get back on schedule or not, we will see. We got a good start from Oglesby, IL on our way to Minneapolis, MN. We saw a lot of corn and soy beans(?) on the way. I was expecting flatter terrain in the northern part of Wisconsin as we neared the Minnesota border. It was quite hilly. We ate lunch near the Wisconsin Dells. I remember visiting that area as a teenager with my parents. This was a long driving day for us but we arrived in Minneapolis around dinner time and called Andrew Webb our family friend in the area. We made plans for the next day and then called it a night.
On Thursday morning Andrew had some business to conduct early and we went off to the Mall of Americas on our own. What a place! I did find a pair of shoes to replace the pair I forgot to bring and we walked around three of the four levels in the mall. It is enormous. We then returned to the motel where we planned to meet with Andrew. When we went down to the lobby to wait for Andrew we found this parked outside the Motel.

After Andrew met us we headed downtown to see the sights. We ate lunch at "The News" in downtown. We did think of sitting outside for all of 30 seconds but it was in the low 90's and we wisely decided to eat in. We then got in Andrews car for a motor tour of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Here is a picture of the Cathedral. We went inside and the stained glass windows were beautiful with the bright sun on them.

We then saw a little more of the city as Andrew took us back to the motel. He went by his house that he shares with his fiance Emily and the church they are to be married in next year. After taking short naps Char and I went to Andrews house for dinner. He cooked steaks to order while Emily whipped up the rest of the meal. It was good to finally meet her. They make a great couple. While we were there Andrew called his parents and Char and I had a chance to speak to both of them. We will be seeing them at the end of our trip in August as we return on our southern route.
This morning we got a good start and we only went about 250 miles south and then west to Brandon, SD which is next to Sioux Falls, SD. While making a rest stop we spotted this familiar figure and paused for photos.


After arriving at our motel we had a swim in their indoor "water park". We ate dinner at a Perkins Restaurant, stopped at a Walgreens for some supplies, and then walked dinner off at a nearby mall. We are now settling in for the night. We plan on an early start tomorrow as we head for The Badlands and Mount Rushmore.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did You get any jolly green giant souveniers?? HAhaha, GUess what as of the moment I am writing this blog, only 3 hours till I turn 18!!! Hva e fun and keep up the fun our west... Good news is I dont leave for college until september 1st, and on monday when I call yu I will tell you my wacky but awesome colege schedule!!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home