McDowell Trip 2006

The McDowell Trip cross country. Enjoy our trip with us as we finally make our "Western" trip.

Name:
Location: Syracuse, New York, United States

I am an Eagle Scout having been a member of the Scouting fraternity for over 30 years man and boy. Now that I have graduated from SU I am preparing to become more active in the fall. I am a lifelong member of the Presbyterian Church and I have recently become the Presbytery Resource Person for the Theological Education Fund of the Presbyterian Church USA. As part of my college training I designed websites for both my church and the local Presbytery. I have been married for 36 years to a warm, loving, special lady named Charlotte and we have two great children, Margie and Francis, and one grandchild, Alex, who all live in the Syracuse area. Francis is getting married in October and Margie is dating a great guy named Mike.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Seventh Day on the Trail

Hi All, Well we are at the end of our first week on the trail. Yesterday we got up and back tracked into Illinois to visit the Cahokia Mounds Historic Area. We went to the interpretive center first to get the first hand scoop on the area. The displays were museum quality and very well done. We misssed some of the displays because we wanted to see the movie presentation that was to be followed by a guided tour on site. The movie was very well done and we enjoyed it. It set the stage for the guided tour. We had to drive across the road to the parking lot for Monk's Mound (See Photo) to meet our guide. He walked us over to and up the stairs to the top of the "mound". This mound is the largest earthenwork structure in the Western Hemisphere. All the other pyramids in meso-america are stonework structures. We then walked out to the area where there was an ongoing dig to locate the placing of the wooden palisade that had enclosed the central area of Cahokia. We then drove into Colliersville for lunch at a Bob Evans Restaurant. We drove back to St. Louis for a nap and a major swim session before dinner at the motel. I spent most of the rest of the evening working on my journal before bedtime.
This morning we got a slow start waiting for the rain to end. We then drove to Springfield, IL for a visit to the Lincoln Library and Museum. We spent several hours there and ate lunch before heading to Oglesby, IL for the night. We ate dinner at a nice local place called DeLaney's before going back to the motel and doing laundry. Tomorrow we are off to Minneapolis.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandpa, SOunds like you and gradnma are having a blast. Well my birthday is in two days, and I am wicked excited. I have so much to do for college but yet being so lazy to do it, hahaha... typical Amanda.... Anyways Make sure you take lots and lots of pictures so You and grandma have an excuse to come up to buffalo, because I am still not sure when I am leaving. I got my work study and they wants me to be student ambassador, but I dont want that job, so when I am up there tomorrow, I am gonna put ina request for an office job.... talk to you later, Ill call on Monday

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home